[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Sep 18 20:07:30 UTC 2013

On 09/18/2013 03:42 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
>> But at a given bitrate I am becoming more convinced that interlacing is a
>> good tradeoff.  The loss of resolution with 720 is irreversible whereas
>> deinterlacing done well can result in a very watchable, and potentially much
>> sharper, image.
>
> You can scale up an image from 720 to 1080.  The result is no less
> fake than what you get by deinterlacing.  Going from 1080p to 1080i or
> 720p both represent irreversible information loss.

Yes, I agree, you can scale an image up (and that is ultimately what
happens when a 720p is shown full screen on a native 1080 display).

However, I disagree that 1080i represents irreversible information loss.
  With 1080i60 you get two subsequent 540 line images that, when
combined, result in a full resolution 1080 line image.  If there is no
motion in the image then no information is lost.

Jeff