[mythtv-users] High end, state of the art Myth Frontend

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Sep 18 18:06:45 UTC 2013

On 18 Sep 2013, at 18:46, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

720p30, 720p24 or 720p25 is not really a broadcast HDTV standard although used for streaming, we were using 720p50, comparing to 1080i50. I think some was shot at 720p60 and 1080i60 due to poor availability of 720p50 equipment.

>  Makes the
> pans smoother.  Of course, whether you run shutter on all cameras is

Standard shutter, which is the same for i50 as p50 (or i60 and p60), important to have just the right amount of the right sort of blur. This was regular CCD television cameras, not DSLR or domestic CMOS stuff or even digital cinema cameras, so no rolling shutters or other weirdness to take into account.

> also an issue: makes the slomo's cleaner, but the sharp edges bother
> some people (including me).

The sharp edges look much better when there are more real frames in between, 30, 60, 120, 300, it starts to look like a window rather than a blurry smeary TV screen. If I recall correctly I think this blur is an effect you are in favour of?

Andre