[mythtv-users] non-printable character in CC track from Handbrake

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Fri Sep 13 12:42:12 UTC 2013

Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote on Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 05:24:19AM -0400:
> Joey Morris wrote:
> > I'm playing MKV files that I ripped from my DVDs using Handbrake on
> > Linux. When I enable closed captions, MythTV displays a little empty
> > box at the end of every caption
>
> I don't notice this, other then I rip to .mkv first using MakeMKV and
> then use Handbrake to reduce size.

I just tried ripping to .mkv using MakeMKV first and then using
Handbrake. However, when I did this, Handbrake didn't display closed
captions as an available subtitle track like it does when I use the
.iso directly. Therefore, I couldn't test how the closed captions look
in MythTV using this procedure. Are you sure you're looking at closed
captions and not the VOBSUBs? For the file I creating from the .iso
using Handbrake, mediainfo displays this:

Text #1
ID            : 3
Format        : VobSub
Codec ID      : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
Language      : English
Default       : No
Forced        : No

Text #2
ID            : 4
Format        : UTF-8
Codec ID      : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Language      : English
Default       : No
Forced        : No

The second one is where I see the non-printable characters.

I've been calling this a closed captions track, but maybe that's not
the correct term. Maybe's it more properly called a text subtitle. I'm
not sure where Handbrake is getting this track from.