[mythtv-users] HD Homeruns not working with MythTV

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 23:11:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Terry Crandall <cantator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are other programs such as the windows machines or the bluray player
> accessing them? -YES

MythTV does not share well :-).  It presume exclusive access
to the tuners.  While there are ways (in a theoretical sense)
to share HDHRs with other systems, (a) no one has contributed
patches, and (b) MythTV would have to be a mind-reader to
properly (re)schedule recordings without being able to know
what tuners will be available when.

> 2013-09-12 18:09:35.278179 E  HDHRSH(10136FB0-0): DeviceSet(vchannel 2):
> ERROR:invalid virtual channel

I *think* that a HDHR Prime in fixes/0.25 should only try to tune
a vchannel if the device is determined to be a kTunerTypeOCUR.

Do you perhaps have a CableCard in your Prime (even if not
activated)?  If so, pull it.  The detection logic in MythTV uses
(as I recall) the physical installation of a CableCard to imply virtual
channel tuning.

And, for testing purposes, do another Delete all capture cards
(and not a Delete all capture cards on this host), and just add
in your first dual.  Two many tuners can spoil the debugging.

> 2013-09-12 18:09:35.462715 E  Failed listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6544 - Error
> 8:The bound address is already in use

This suggests (a) you may be running two backends at the same time
(kill all the ones runnings, and start the one you want again; note
that some distros/packagers have automated restart scripts that
can make it an interesting task to really stop the backend) and
(b) that you perhaps binding only to localhost.  For a network tuner
such as the HDHR to work, you have to have a "real" IP address.
If you have set the BackendServerIP, likely you should delete it
(if it is not set, it will bind to all network addresses as I recall).
Setting it to localhost (and/or 127.0.0.1, ::1) does not work with
HDHRs.

Hopefully one or more of these ideas may help you get a little
further.

Gary