[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime does _NOT_ do US OTA, what does?

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 12:56:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Robert M. Riches Jr. <
rm.riches at jacob21819.net> wrote:

> Many thanks to those who have responded.  It's unfortunate there
> doesn't appear to be a viable alternative to the HDHomeRun Dual.
> At least the Hauppage USB is functional most of the time.
>
> I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with this reply:
>
> > Message: 12
> > Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 23:08:16 -0400
> > From: Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com>
> > To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> > Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime does _NOT_ do US OTA, what
> >       does?
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Robert M. Riches Jr.
> > <rm.riches at jacob21819.net> wrote:
> > > Is there another maker of network-based/attached TV tuners that
> > > do support US over-the-air channels and work with MythTV?  (If
> > > possible, I'd like to vote with my wallet against Silicondust's
> > > lack of disclosure that the Prime is lacking in such a basic
> > > function.)
> >
> > Lack of disclosure?  It's right on the product page:
> >
> > http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/
> >
> > "HDHomeRun PRIME is not not compatible with antennas, satellite TV
> > (DirecTV/Dish Network), or IPTV services such as AT&T U-Verse. "
> >
> > Don't get me wrong:  it would be nice if it supported OTA (in fairness
> > though, there are some pretty good reasons related to RF performance
> > to only support cable).  It doesn't seem fair though to blame them for
> > not saying so though.
> >
> > You're right though - all of the cablecard devices don't support OTA,
> > and there are only two network tuners I know of which do support OTA:
> > the HDHR and the Hauppauge Broadway (which isn't supported under
> > Myth).
> >
> > Devin
> >
> > --
> > Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
> > http://www.kernellabs.com
>
> Disclosure of the deficiency on the product page?  Nope.
>
> Bring up http://www.hdhomerun.com/ in a browser, hover over the
> 'Products' tab, then select "HDHomeRun PRIME" from the drop-down
> menu.  That brings up this URL:
>
>     http://www.hdhomerun.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/
>
> There's no instance of "antenna" on that page.  The "for more
> information" flyer is at this URL:
>
>     http://www.hdhomerun.com/images/hdhomerun/prime_flyer.png
>
> There's no instance of "antenna" in that flyer.
>
> What there is is a 'Learn More' button, which appears redundant
> if one has already read the first product page and flyer.  That
> button goes to a page,
>
>     http://www.hdhomerun.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/
>
> that _does_ have the quoted statement, but _not_ in the first two
> pages of bullet points.  The statement is buried below a nearly-
> full-page fluff picture.  To be any more buried, it would have to
> be white text on a white background.
>
> For a device that is advertised to support watching TV to not
> support OTA is approximately the equivalent of an automobile
> without windshield wipers.  In many climates, windshield wipers
> [...]

Robert:

I'm sorry you purchased the wrong product, but saying that the HDHRPrime is
"deficient" because it doesn't do OTA is off the mark.  The start of the
very first sentence at the top of the main product page is "HDHomeRun PRIME
is a digital cable TV tuner".  They have told you what it does.  Do they
really need to say "Oh, and it doesn't do OTA" to be complete?  I think you
are asking for a level of disclosure that is unreasonable.

George