[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime does _NOT_ do US OTA, what does?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Sep 6 03:08:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Robert M. Riches Jr.
<rm.riches at jacob21819.net> wrote:
> Is there another maker of network-based/attached TV tuners that
> do support US over-the-air channels and work with MythTV?  (If
> possible, I'd like to vote with my wallet against Silicondust's
> lack of disclosure that the Prime is lacking in such a basic
> function.)

Lack of disclosure?  It's right on the product page:

http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/

"HDHomeRun PRIME is not not compatible with antennas, satellite TV
(DirecTV/Dish Network), or IPTV services such as AT&T U-Verse. "

Don't get me wrong:  it would be nice if it supported OTA (in fairness
though, there are some pretty good reasons related to RF performance
to only support cable).  It doesn't seem fair though to blame them for
not saying so though.

You're right though - all of the cablecard devices don't support OTA,
and there are only two network tuners I know of which do support OTA:
the HDHR and the Hauppauge Broadway (which isn't supported under
Myth).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs