[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime does _NOT_ do US OTA, what does?

Robert M. Riches Jr. rm.riches at jacob21819.net
Fri Sep 6 02:53:27 UTC 2013

A week or three ago, I asked for suggestions for a network-based
TV tuner for US ATSC over-the-air.  Sadly, the HDHomeRun Prime
is incapable of tuning US over-the-air channels and is cable-only.
This is according to Silicondust support, which is consistent
with my attempts to configure the new Prime that arrived a couple
of days ago (now an expensive paperweight--unless I decide the
hassle of returning it would be worthwhile).

Is there another maker of network-based/attached TV tuners that
do support US over-the-air channels and work with MythTV?  (If
possible, I'd like to vote with my wallet against Silicondust's
lack of disclosure that the Prime is lacking in such a basic
function.)

Ceton has a 6-tuner infiniTV6ETH, but the website admits it does
not do over-the-air.

Kaiser Baas has a Network TV Tuner, but it apparently only does
DVB, not ATSC.

Failing another maker that supports US OTA, how difficult is it
to configure two HDHomeRun Duals on the same network?

(The LinuxTV.org Wiki now, as of an hour or two ago, has a page
for the HDHomeRun Prime with a warning that it does not support
US OTA.)

Thanks,

Robert Riches