[mythtv-users] Myth Storage Drive failing

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 5 14:14:25 UTC 2013

> Hey all... SmartD is reporting more bad sectors on one of my 2 myth
> recording storage drives.
>
> (they are NOT in a RAID)
>
> So I figured, I could just shut mythbackend down while I copy all the data
> to replacement
> drive and then swap (they're in hot-swap cages) them out and do whatever
> linux management to
> get the new drive online/where I want.
>
> Should be that simple, yes?
>
> OR -- is there a fancier way to do this where myth can keep running but just
> not record to that drive anymore. (like going into Myth setup and changing
> all the storage locations.
> I'm not as thrilled with that idea just from remember to put everything
> back.)

You can just unmount the drive and remount it to a new location to
backup the data (assuming your storage groups point to a folder on the
drive, rather than the mountpoint itself)... mythtv should continue to
function fine with the recordings offline.

You could also mount the new drive in the old drive's place, create
any necessary directories so your storage groups can use it, and
mythtv will start using the new drive immediately.  Then you can copy
in the recordings from the failing drive at your leisure.

No real reason to shut the system down.