[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 31 18:33:55 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 01:01:27PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >     There are far cheaper ways to distract a houseguest than with some all
> > inclusive cable package where you need to subscribe to 500 of them just to
> > get the 5 you really want.
>
> The point I'm trying to make is that in a world without bundling, I
> don't get a 99% bill reduction for going from 500 channels to 5.  For
> a 99% loss of content, I'd be surprised if the bill dropped by more
> than 10%.

     Like anything, the answer is 'it depends'.

     However, a loss of the 99% is no great tragedy. The whole point of
a PVR is to make that 99% invisible. Unfiltered cable is like wading
through raw sewage.

     If your local cable operator is giving you trouble, revisit the idea
of putting up an antenna.

     Beating an entrenched physical monopoly with contempt for you and no
interest in being competitive may be easier than you think.