[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 17:09:30 UTC 2013

On Oct 29, 2013 9:43 AM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The OP was just saying that Comcast in Portland, OR has quit sending
clear QAM channels (as all cable companies will be doing, now that the FCC
no longer requires them to send clear QAM channels).

So far, with the exception of CableVision(*), which was granted
an early wavier, Comcast has been the most aggressive with
this rollout.  I happened to talk to a CSR after cutoff, and while
the numbers were not huge, they did mention a number of people
who did not realize that viewing TV without paying for it
(internet only contract) was technically theft of service in
most jurisdictions in the US (they were trained to not use such
language, but to help(?) the customer purchase the right
service for them).  I expect that Comcast's experience
will encourage other MSOs to also move and capture that
lost revenue, in addition to helping the enviornment(**)
sooner rather than later.  And long term that also means
fewer field techs.  More saving (and more profit).

Gary

(*) There were special circumstances involved.

(**) Less truck rolls will reduce pollution, helping
the environment.  There was even EPA numbers
used in that argument.