[mythtv-users] 0.27 Problem: Mythcontext - Backend is online

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Mon Oct 21 20:01:23 UTC 2013

On 21.10.2013 00:11, Matthias wrote:
> Am 20.10.2013 21:47, schrieb Doug Lytle:
>> Matthias wrote:
>>> since upgrading to 0.27, I see an appearent problem from the backend.
>>> Sometimes, quite often, while being in the recorded programs list, I see
>>> a large message box popping up with a green checkmark "mythcontext:
>>> backend is online".
>> Networking issues.  Sounds like it's dropping off.  Network card failing?
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Hi Doug,
>
> good point. I have two network cards inside the server, I will check
> with the other one.
>
> Without too much hope though: Problems startet precisely with the 0.27
> upgrade; and it seems to be happening only with certain recordings.
>
> Right now I have one of them: This one recording goes falling out of the
> recorded list and back in (being marked with the little cross sign). I
> was able to watch it, though, and all other current recordings are there
> without making any problem, appearently, and I can stream HD content
> across my home without any problem.
>
> I do not have any other type of network problem either.
>
> I rather think it might be something in the database, in the program
> description, for example, which causes problems during parsing. I am
> using tv_grab_eu_epgdata, and they seem to be changing things every now
> and then which cause problems with encoding, right now it seems they
> send UTF-8 again which is not parsed correctly, I do not see umlauts
> displayed correctly, and maybe it is certain combination of codes which
> cause this?
>
> I maybe should check the mysql log...
>
> I will try the network card, though, thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Matthias

Hello list,

just in case somebody finds this googling, here is my preliminary
finding. I have deleted the program description in phpMyAdmin and that
fixed the problem for this time.

The problems with tv_grab_eu_epgdata and UTF-8 (or whatever) encodings
are re-occuring but seem to be random. All other program descriptions in
the last days are encoded correctly, just this one did not come in
right. In other occasions, I had all program titles and descriptions
wrong, now it is just some programs.

For the myth programmers, it might be interesting to find out how a
program description can interrupt the comunication between frontend and
backend. I can supply a backup of my recorded table (off-list), if
required. I am not able to analyze that myself.

Thanks for all the support, regards,

Matthias