[mythtv-users] Only getting one day of EPG

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 13 06:58:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:23:28 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I have a 0.25.3 system on Fedora 16 with two nova S plus DVB-S tuners and I
>have just recently added one HDHomeRun dual DVB-T
>

>For some strange reason I can only see approximately one days EPG details
>for the DVB-T - sometimes less. This isn't usually one calendar day, more
>like 24 hours or so - not exactly 24 hours !
>

>When I look at the EPG guide on my TV I can see a weeks' worth of detail -
>titles and descriptions. So the TV uses the same terrestrial aerial the
>HomeRun uses. If I look on mythweb I can only see the days worth of EPG but
>interestingly for the rest of the week it knows program times but not titles
>or descriptions. Where the title should be MythWeb shows just a full stop
>"." with description and episode detail completely blank, but the start/end
>time is correct. What I see in Mythweb reflects what I see when I use
>mythfrontend.
>

>It has been suggested I use an alternative guide tv_grab_nz-py, but I am
>nervous about being reliant on a 3rd party project that may shutdown at any
>time. I would rather use the embedded guide which is pretty much guaranteed
>to be there.
>

>I have tried removing the DVB-S source but it didn't seem to make any
>difference.

EPG data is per source - one source should not affect another source.

>Any clues or ideas are much appreciated.
>

>Many thanks in advance

If you want to get full EPG directly from the New Zealand DVB-T
channels, you need to get the MHEG5 EPG.  The EIT EPG is only supposed
to be now/next, although you seem to be getting a bit more than that.
To grab your own MHEG5 EPG, use mhegepgsnoop.py:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/mhegepgsnooppy/

If you want the additional post-processing that makes the downloaded
data better quality, run xmltv-proc-nz:

  https://github.com/hadleyrich/xmltv-tools/blob/master/xmltv-proc-nz

on the MHEG5 data before using mythfilldatabase to load it into
MythTV.  Note that xmltv-proc-nz does download JSON data from the EPG
site to use for controlling the post-processing.  That JSON data gets
updated occasionally so that it fixes the latest idiocies that turn up
in the EPG data.

Do not forget to shut off collection of EIT EPG for DVB-T, otherwise
it will overwrite your MHEG5 EPG.