[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu defaulting to incorrect resolution

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Fri Oct 11 19:48:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 18:00 +0100, Jksj wrote:
> I had a similar issue when I took an Ubuntu update last Friday. In that
> case myth was driving the tv at 25hz instead of 50hz. As you report
> setting the correct frequency in Nvidia control panel resolved the
> issue. I made it permanent by adding the following line to the Startup Apps.
> nvidia-settings -a 0/CurrentMetaMode="1920x1080_50 @1920x1080 +0+0"
> It does not work unless you copy the exact metamode spec (annoyingly it
> fails silently).
> This change was not caused by an update to myth, I checked by running
> the latest 0.27 on a 49 day old backup I had of the OS. I suspect an
> update of XBMC 13 did it but cant prove it. Do you have xbmc installed?

No XBMC, just Mythbuntu + 0.26 on the machine.

I've managed to have the host end up with the correct resolution now
after reboot using a XFCE startup script. The key was adding a 10 second
sleep in the script so that the xrandr call is made after whatever is
causing the resolution to get reset to 1280x1024. It seems like a lame
solution to me, but it appears to be doing the job.

Joe