[mythtv-users] 0.27 and AirPlay

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Oct 9 11:37:46 UTC 2013

On 9 Oct 2013, at 12:07, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 October 2013 21:31, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> Unfortunately I am now reminded why I didn't have the backend ipv6 address configured in mythtv-setup, my local frontend is ok but the remote ones are now extremely slow and flaky.
>>
>> Oh well, at least I'm further into the problem, looks like there's something not quite right yet with the ipv6 side, whether it's in my network configuration (it's the same with and without ipv6 firewall rules running) or something not right with Myth or MySQL.
>>

> Be careful when activating IPv6; all frontends will now attempt to
> connect using IPv6.

Yes, I see that!

Most things in the LAN here connect with ipv6 first, I actually see ~20 to 30% ipv6 usage

> If the IPv6 address you've set is a link-local
> address, it will most likely not work the way mythtv is handling the
> address.

No a real ipv6, my ISP delegates a /48 to me and I have a /64 from that routed to my home/office LAN. Proper native, mtu 1500 stuff none of this tunnelling mucking around :-)

> You would need to properly set it to a "real" IPv6, one that can be
> accessed from all the local machine.

The LAN is needed to be working ipv6 for a project with a client so it's all working as far as the Internet is concerned.

> So in my experience, unless you have a fully-working and configured
> IPv6 network at home; you're better off having the IPv6 field set in
> mythtv-setup to blank (e.g. not in use)…

And sometime even _when_ you have a fully working and configured IPv6 network :-(

I had suspected MySQL as the culprit but it claims to be listing on :::3306 which according to them means ipv4 & ipv6 on all addresses, firewall rules take care of the rest. address for user and database access for mysql is "any".

> So long that the link-local box is checked in mythtv-setup -> general:
> AirPlay will work fine, even using IPv6 (which is what iTunes will try
> to use by default)

It didn't work fine for me until I configured the real ipv6 in mythtv-setup but I still have some dns digging to do so there may be more to this.

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Andre