[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.27 is out

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sun Oct 6 00:34:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Rich Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net>
> wrote:
>> For updates to the front-end I usually just do them via chroot from
>> the server - way faster than doing builds on an Atom.
>
> Do you cross compile for the Atom?  I haven't had much luck doing the chroot
> compiles, even for systems with the same architecture.  Perhaps I need to do
> a better job of keeping the packages in sync across the FEs.

I just compile within the chroot, setting -march=k8 -mtune=atom.  Just
don't set -march=atom if you do that or you will get occasional build
failures.  There is one instruction supported by the atom which is not
supported by most other amd64-compatible CPUs, and gcc will use it
(with mtune it will either avoid it, or compile a generic-k8
workaround along side).

Nothing needs to be in-sync between a chroot and the parent OS, other
than the system call interface and instruction set (assuming you're
only running console apps - which is all you need in order to build
stuff).  You could probably build Gentoo in a chroot under Solaris
just fine as long as you start from a stage3.  The chroot has its own
libraries/etc, so it is fairly independent from the main system.  If
your chroot breaks, it would have broken if you did the exact same
thing on a standalone system 99.99% of the time.  What does get tricky
is something like Gentoo Prefix which doesn't run in a chroot and
therefore interacts with the underlying OS more (in particular glibc -
hence the GSOC project to build RAP).

Rich