[mythtv-users] Wayland

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:13:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Andréas Kühne <andreas at kuhne.se> wrote:
> I agree that X will be hard to knock off, however ubuntu has a huge
> installbase and they are known for doing things their own way. Just use Mir
> as default window handler and forget about the rest, and Mir will be default
> from Ubuntu 13.10....

To paraphrase a common saying: "Its the hardware support, stupid".
And, in this case, that means GPU support.  Intel has stated that
they will be supporting Wayland (and not integrate/support Mir) in
their open source video driver efforts (and that means Canonical
will have to carry the patches in their tree).  While the open source
drivers for AMD and nVidia are adequate for some, for others the
lack of features means that they will want to use the binary blob
drivers.  There are rumors that both AMD and nVidia have been
courted by the usual suspects, and working on support for either,
or both, depending on which rumor you believe.  But the only thing
that matters will be real announcements (and not internal development,
which is almost certainly happening, that does not get shipped or
supported).

Gary