[mythtv-users] Zotac ID41 as frontend

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue May 28 10:49:37 UTC 2013

2013/5/28 Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>

> Hello all,
>
> I am planning to change my old frontend and repleace it with a Zotac
> ID41 ION1 based box.

I use a Zotac ID41 as a frontend myself, but if I was going to buy one
today, I would go for the newer models, like ID80, ID84 or ID86. Around
here, the price for the old ID41 is the same as for the newer models. The
newer models will give you a Atom CPU with a slightly lower TDP (10 watt
vs. 13 watt - which could lead to a slower spinning fan) and a newer NVIDIA
GPU which supports VDPAU feature set D instead of C. I haven't been looking
into the TDP of the GPUs, but I assume they are around the same. If the
price is the same, I see no reason for buying the ID41 today.

> I have some questions about it:
>
> 1. I read on the official Zotac web that it support 2x204-pin DDR2-800
> SO-DIMM. Do you recommend to use both slots? Is enough with 2x1GB
> (DDR2-800)?

Do you already have some spare RAM modules which you're going to use or are
you going to purchace them? If you're going to purchase them, do check the
prices on some of the newer RAM modules. RAM are so cheap these days that
some of the smaller RAM modules are in fact more expensive than the
larger/newer ones. Around here, you can get a 1GB DDR3-1066 module for app.
14USD, while a 2GB DDR-1333 module costs app. 17USD. I would just purchase
the full 2x2GB to begin with, so I don't have to replace them later on, if
needed.

2. I will add a 8GB SSD drive for the OS, is this enough?

A bit on the low side, but yes, my ID41 dedicated MythTV frontend with a
default install of Mythbuntu 12.04 currently uses 4,1GB:

$ df -H /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1        55G  4.1G   48G   8% /

> 3. I have a MCE receiver to control the frontend, will I power on the
> device from remote?

I haven't tested this on my ID41, but I use a MCE-receiver for my Zotac
IONITX-A board and waking it up from suspend-to-ram works fine.

> I will appreciate any help or recommendation about this device? I read
> on this list that some of you use it. I want to use for 1080i
> recordings and livetv.

The ID41 with 2x1GB RAM will do the job, but as I wrote above, I would
personally go for a ID80/ID84/ID86 + 2x2GB DDR3-1333 RAM, as the price will
likely be around the same.

Best regards
Kenni