[mythtv-users] Hardware list for new mythtv box

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Fri May 24 16:08:28 UTC 2013

On 5/23/2013 10:51 PM, John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:43 +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Remember also that the noise of the disk drives can be a factor in your overall
>> quest for a quiet system. That is one major reason why many of us opt for split
>> systems, a quiet diskless or simple front-end and a big back-end somewhere else
>> in the house full of disks and fans.

When considering noise, don't forget to take into account how the noise
may be amplified by where you place your box. Our machine was pretty
darn quite while sitting in plain site on the rock floor, but when I
moved it into the wood TV cabinet it was much more noticeable because it
was like placing it into a speaker cabinet pointed straight at me.
Plywood boxes transmit sound and reverberate very well.

Finally, I second the comment on the use of big (8"), slow moving fans.
They are much quieter. Also, vent any cabinets you place the computer
in, preferably with an ~8" fan (you might have to cut the wires to those
stupid LEDs that high school kids find so attractive in fans :-)).