[mythtv-users] OT - aspect ratio and non-square pixel display

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Wed May 22 04:14:05 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013 11:10 PM, "Jeremy Jones" <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 21, 2013 1:49 PM, "Roger Siddons" <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:20:37 +0100, Jeremy Jones <
jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:

 After some googling and some searching of the files in my system (reading
startup scripts, etc) I think that xrandr may be the culprit.  It seems to
be forcing square DPI.  I found a setting  using xrandr from terminal that
will change this and all works well until reboot.  Adding the command to a
script and running it at logon, does not seem to work however.  I think it
has to do with the timing of the scripts that are running.

reboots are very infrequent (mythfrontend only box), I just added the
xrandr command to the mythfrontend startup script. Then when there is a
reboot and my wife/kids press the button on the remote to start
mythfronted, the xrandr command runs first.

will probably not last that much longer anyway.  Thanks to those that
helped.

or more of them has a hard-coded -dpi 100 on it.  It's very common for
distros to add that (brokenness).

> >> I totally agree, but I did not find anything during my search, and
there is only so much time I'm willing to invest.

> >> Also I didn't get a response from any of the mythbuntu team.  Knowing
a little more about  where to look might make me try again.

> >> Thanks for the help.
> >>
> >> Jeremy
> >
> > I haven't really been following this thread but my mythbuntu machine
does set the dpi in /etc/lightdm/mythbuntu-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
> > I don't know if that helps you...
> >
> It did help indeed! I thought I had checked that file but I did not see
the line setting the doing

Oops....phone's autocorrect got me again.

doing -> DPI

to 96.  Taking that out allowed me to use the displaysize setting in
xorg.conf and all works as it should.