[mythtv-users] OT - aspect ratio and non-square pixel display

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Wed May 22 04:10:32 UTC 2013

jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On May 21, 2013 10:09 AM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

 After some googling and some searching of the files in my system (reading
startup scripts, etc) I think that xrandr may be the culprit.  It seems to
be forcing square DPI.  I found a setting  using xrandr from terminal that
will change this and all works well until reboot.  Adding the command to a
script and running it at logon, does not seem to work however.  I think it
has to do with the timing of the scripts that are running.

reboots are very infrequent (mythfrontend only box), I just added the
xrandr command to the mythfrontend startup script. Then when there is a
reboot and my wife/kids press the button on the remote to start
mythfronted, the xrandr command runs first.

probably not last that much longer anyway.  Thanks to those that helped.

>> > I still think you should check your X start scripts and I'll bet one
or more of them has a hard-coded -dpi 100 on it.  It's very common for
distros to add that (brokenness).

>> > Mike
>> >

>> I totally agree, but I did not find anything during my search, and there
is only so much time I'm willing to invest.

>> Also I didn't get a response from any of the mythbuntu team.  Knowing a
little more about  where to look might make me try again.

>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Jeremy
>
> I haven't really been following this thread but my mythbuntu machine does
set the dpi in /etc/lightdm/mythbuntu-lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
> I don't know if that helps you...

It did help indeed! I thought I had checked that file but I did not see the
line setting the doing to 96.  Taking that out allowed me to use the
displaysize setting in xorg.conf and all works as it should.

Thank you Roger!