[mythtv-users] Unlocking Technologies Act

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri May 10 00:53:35 UTC 2013

 > In any case, the gist of the bill is to castrate the DMCA
> anti-circumvention
> > clause, and make it only illegal if the intent of circumvention is to
> allow
> > illegal redistribution of the protected content.
>
> Ahhh.  Good and interesting news.  It seems now that the US has
> succeeded in shoving their DMCA down Canadians' throats[1], they are
> going to leave it strangling us Canadians and relax it for their own
> citizens.  How very nice.
>
> b.
>
> [1] Yes, the Canadian DMCA which the US lobbied long and hard for is
>     actually more restrictive in Canada than it is in the US.

It essentially states that you have the right to bypass any restrictions as
long as it's not done to violate copyright or facilitate copyright
infringement.

Time shifting is considered fair use (ruled on by the supreme court in
1984), so essentially, if passed we could legally circumvent HDCP or any
other means that content providers use to prevent us from recording from
their systems.

Which leads to my favorite line from the congresswoman's summary is "In
addition, the bill would permit the use and sale of tools – like software
apps – that enable unlocking for uses that do not infringe on copyright. "
 I hope it's just a firmware update for the HDHR Prime to ignore the copy
protection flags on cable channels!