[mythtv-users] Unlocking Technologies Act

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 10 01:29:48 UTC 2013

On 5/9/2013 8:53 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> Which leads to my favorite line from the congresswoman's summary is "In
> addition, the bill would permit the use and sale of tools – like
> software apps – that enable unlocking for uses that do not infringe on
> copyright. "  I hope it's just a firmware update for the HDHR Prime to
> ignore the copy protection flags on cable channels!

You could, but in all likelihood the firmware itself is copyrighted, and
thus you would not be able to distribute your modified versions of it.
You could (in theory) write your own clean room firmware from scratch,
but then you would still have to crack the CC handshake to authorize
your new firmware. If you have to deal with the handshake, you may as
well do that from their open source library, rather than trying to write
a whole firmware.