[mythtv-users] LIRC driving me nuts Have to remove and reinstall every reboot

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 12 21:54:13 UTC 2013

On 3/12/2013 2:24 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:45:39PM -0700, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Lee Maisel <maisel at lobo.net> wrote:
>>> Anywhere I should look??
>>
>> My WAG is that your lirc startup script(s) are not waiting for
>> the (likely) USB IR device to become ready.  Check with your
>> distro for how to configure startup scripts to wait for devices
>> to become ready before starting.
>
>      Another approach could be to just move LIRC to the end of the startup
> process or restart it after all of the other scripts have run.
>
>      Not sure a "wait on this device" approach is the best thing to do with
> something like upstart. I've trashed upstart myself trying stuff like that.

Alternatively, you might consider using a combination of eventlircd
<http://code.google.com/p/eventlircd/> and lirc <http://www.lirc.org/>
in order eliminate the race condition between, lirc device startup,
lircd startup and lircd dependent application startup. It is one of the
reasons that I wrote eventlircd.