[mythtv-users] 0.26-fixes: HDHR no longer recording?

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Tue Mar 12 15:41:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 03/08/2013 10:32 AM, Michael Stucky wrote:
>
>> So how should my logging be setup for MythTV logging? Mythbuntu, by
>> default, starts mythlogserver and mythbackend as follows:

 I should have worded that differently, I don't believe that Ubuntu starts
mythlogserver. I should have said "on my Mythbuntu BE (where I have not
changed the default startup) the following processes are are running:

>> /usr/bin/mythlogserver --daemon --verbose general --loglevel info
>> --syslog local7
>>
>> /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
>>

> Using syslog logging for "normal" day-to-day logging is fine--especially
> if that's the way your distro sets it up.  I was just asking that when
> submitting logs for others to read to help diagnose issues that they be
> created using MythTV logging.
>
> That said, does Ubuntu really start mythlogserver?  If so, does it have
> some monitoring thing restart it (like upstart or whatever)?  If so, this
> is probably why so many users are getting so many duplicate mythlogserver
> instances.  TTBOMK, unless something has changed, mythlogserver shouldn't
> be started by the user since it's started automatically by MythTV
> applications.

To clarify, I have never had any issues with duplicate mythlogserver
instances. I believe that the mythbackend is starting the running instance
of mythlogserver as it should. And I understand that, as long as I am not
having problems, the default logging is fine. But is there a better way to
setup logging so that when I do have a problem I don't have to go search
list archives or wiki pages or Google to reconfigure logging so I can get
help? Or would that produce too much logging and therefore large log files
and/or log files that are rolled too often?

Mike