[mythtv-users] mythlogserver multiple copies high cpu

David Farmer remrafevad at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 09:33:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM, David Farmer <remrafevad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/13 17:13, David Farmer wrote:
>
> I have been having this as an ongoing problem since I installed MythTV
> 0.26 on an Arch Linux x86_64 box. There is a current bug report<http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11230>(ticket #11230) but it's priority is marked at low, I'm hoping that this
> could possibly change! Trouble is, I don't know how to reproduce it. As the
> subject says, I get multiple copies of mythlogserver and they smash the cpu
> at a combined total of almost 100% for each core.
>
> My typical MythTV usage is to have it wake itself, record a program and
> then use a HandBrakeCLI user job to transcode this, and finally shut itself
> down. Typically a 2 hour SD recording takes 2 hours to transcode using my
> settings, and a 2 hour HD takes about 6 hours. But since 0.26 I get up in
> the morning and the the user jobs aren't finished and there are around 4
> copies of mythlogserver all running, using so much cpu that HandBrakeCLI
> only used 0.3%. But the worst example was a few days ago, I had 14
> instances all at the same time.
>

> Adding "system" to the verbose settings should cause a log entry each
> time mythlogserver is started up. A line like:
>
> >2013-01-22 19:31:10.371307 I [401/28931] Logger system-unix.cpp:868
> >(Fork) - Managed child (PID: 402) has started! *
> >command=/opt/local/bin/mythlogserver --daemon --verbose none,system
> >--logpath /opt/local/var/log/mythtv.26 --loglevel debug, timeout=0
>
> I've changed the mythlogserver parameters as suggested, but as yet haven't
> had the problem appear. Will these new settings survive a reboot, or do I
> need to specify them each time?
>

>  Ok, so it took a while but I have a recurrence of the problem. A quick
description of the events before and after I noticed it.

1. I logged into the HTPC via ssh to see how many mythlogserver processes
were running, only 1 and cpu usage was less than 1%. I then logged out.
2. I opened mythweb from the same pc as I did the ssh. I cancelled a few
upcoming recordings that were scheduled via a custom search rule. Closed
Mythweb.
3. Ate dinner
4. I sat in front of the HTPC and checked how many mythlogservers were
open, 7 or 8 (forgot to count!) of them and cpu usage was maximum.

The log file is huge though, because all this time Shepherd (my Australian
program listings grabber) was running as a cron job. An immediate issues
I've noted in the log is

"Mar 07 18:51:20 david-htpc systemd-coredump[2706]: Process 2672
(mythpreviewgen) dumped core."

Not sure which other messages are important, how should the log be uploaded?