[mythtv-users] mythlogserver multiple copies high cpu

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 4 03:11:03 UTC 2013

At 1:23 PM +1030 3/4/13, David Farmer wrote:
>On 02/03/13 17:13, David Farmer wrote:
>
>>I have been having this as an ongoing problem since I installed
>>MythTV 0.26 on an Arch Linux x86_64 box. There is a
>><http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11230>current bug report
>>(ticket #11230) but it's priority is marked at low, I'm hoping that
>>this could possibly change! Trouble is, I don't know how to
>>reproduce it. As the subject says, I get multiple copies of
>>mythlogserver and they smash the cpu at a combined total of almost
>>100% for each core.
>>
>>My typical MythTV usage is to have it wake itself, record a program
>>and then use a HandBrakeCLI user job to transcode this, and finally
>>shut itself down. Typically a 2 hour SD recording takes 2 hours to
>>transcode using my settings, and a 2 hour HD takes about 6 hours.
>>But since 0.26 I get up in the morning and the the user jobs aren't
>>finished and there are around 4 copies of mythlogserver all
>>running, using so much cpu that HandBrakeCLI only used 0.3%. But
>>the worst example was a few days ago, I had 14 instances all at the
>>same time.
>>

>Adding "system" to the verbose settings should cause a log entry each
>time mythlogserver is started up. A line like:
>
>>2013-01-22 19:31:10.371307 I [401/28931] Logger system-unix.cpp:868
>>(Fork) - Managed child (PID: 402) has started! *
>>command=/opt/local/bin/mythlogserver --daemon --verbose none,system
>>--logpath /opt/local/var/log/mythtv.26 --loglevel debug, timeout=0
>
>I've changed the mythlogserver parameters as suggested, but as yet
>haven't had the problem appear. Will these new settings survive a
>reboot, or do I need to specify them each time?

It is mythbackend or mythwelcome (I presume...but maybe it is
mythfrontend?) that is firing up copies of mythlogserver.  It is
_those_ programs that you have to add the system keyword to.  You'll
have to grep all the log files to find out when all of the copies of
mythlogserver get started.  Then, maybe there will be a clue as to
why it is happening...

Craig