[mythtv-users] Overscan with nVidia drivers greater than version 300 - Example on wiki

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Mar 6 21:39:20 UTC 2013

On 20/02/13 10:09, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 20/02/13 03:16, Nick Rout wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Mike Perkins
>> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 19/02/13 21:08, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>>         On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Jerry
>>         <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com <mailto:mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com>>
>>         wrote:
>>
>>             Hi all,
>>
>>             I stumbled upon this information when I was upgrading my
>>             system to Fedora
>>             18 yesterday.  With the newer nVidia drivers (greater than
>>             version 300),
>>             you can add a line to the Screen section of xorg.conf to
>>             compensate for
>>             overscan.
>>
>>             Brief instructions with an example are on the wiki:
>>             http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/__Overscan
>>             <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Overscan>
>>
>>             There is a link to the original nVidia README which you
>>             might find useful
>>             as well.
>>
>>             I hope someone finds this useful.  I've been trying to fix
>>             overscan for a
>>             few years now.  I haven't seen anything on the list about
>>             this.  The
>>             overscan on my television is quite extensive, and this
>>             cleaned things up
>>             nicely after about fifteen minutes of experimentation.
>>

>>         yah back to the commandline. the nvidia-settings method, while
>>         it worked,
>>         as often awkward on an htpc with no mouse.
>>
>>     You can always ssh in from another box.
>>

>> Not to use nvidia-settings i don't think. It wants to deal with $DISPLAY
>> which will not be your TV screen.
>>

> I do most of my Myth-management in a window on a monitor.  When I want
> to use the TV I restart the frontend and use the --geometry option.  I
> do have the TV set for no-overscan but the overscan is still there. This
> way the picture just fills the screen.  I haven't found a way to run
> both displays at once, though.
>
> ##############
> #!/bin/bash
> # Run MythTV front end on display 0
> # This is the HANNSG HG191A monitor on VGA
>
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
> mythfrontend
> ###############
> #!/bin/bash
> # Run MythTV front end on display 1
> # For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
> #
> export DISPLAY=:0.1
> #mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
> mythfrontend --geometry 1860x1046+30+16
> #############

I posted that reply when the mailserver was offline, and the topic was
cold when it came back.  But closer examination of the TV manual and a
little experimentation has shown that the TV overscan _can_ be disabled.

It needs Menu > Picture > Advanced Settings > 16:9 Overscan Off

_and_        Remote > ASPECT > 16:9

With that done, and the commented-out line above restored, the MythTV
image just fills the screen and the window-frame is invisible.

The manual says a setting of AUTO would do the same, given a 16:9
signal, but I still see Overscan here.

The TV says it has a 1080p 50 Hz signal although the recordings are
mainly DVB-T SD.

I can't say that any difference between the two overscan/geometry
combinations is apparent, but it's good to feel that I'm Doing It Right.

John P