[mythtv-users] How do you set up a MythTV frontend to output YCbCr via HDMI

Tim Phipps phipps-hutton at sky.com
Wed Mar 6 20:09:17 UTC 2013

Quoting Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:

> Do you know how this works? Is the screen buffer YCbCr, or is it
> still RGB with the graphics chip turning it back to YCbCr just
> to output to HDMI?

I have no idea how it works but all of the mpeg decode is done in
YCbCr space until you get to the presentation of decoded frames. I
guess they can be decoded to RGB if you have an RGB framebuffer or
left as YCbCr otherwise. Sooner or later something is going to convert
that YCbCr to RGB unless you have a very strange display device.

Does it look better?

Cheers,
Tim.