[mythtv-users] How do you set up a MythTV frontend to output YCbCr via HDMI

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Mar 6 19:19:03 UTC 2013

On 06/03/2013 16:58, boehm100 at comcast.net wrote:
> In addition to setting YCbCr in nvidia-settings I needed to add the following to the "Screen" section of my xorg.conf
>
>      Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
>      Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
>
> After the addition, mythtv launches for me in and leaves the monitor in YCbCr.  Finally I needed to set the studio color space flag to make the black levels look correct.  The proper name of the flag is escaping me at the moment.

Magic, thanks. That did it. I too needed to enable studio levels, but I
did it from the frontend menu. A bit suspicious that I needed to do
that. I was hoping that running this way would reduce the number of
processing stages between codec and TV screen, but if that setting
still has effect, I guess the decoded YCbCr is still processed before
it gets to the screen buffer.

Do you know how this works? Is the screen buffer YCbCr, or is it
still RGB with the graphics chip turning it back to YCbCr just
to output to HDMI?

Paul.