[mythtv-users] Not quite OT but of interest: video formats

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jun 28 17:33:57 UTC 2013

On 27 Jun 2013, at 17:42, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm guessing you are a proponent of the "dreamlike quality of 24fps" viewpoint?

High frame rate is just oversampling, once the overall TV system can manage 120 or 150 or 300fps or whatever then it's an artistic decision how to portray motion, blurry and dreamy for arty films by adding motion blur or sharp, smooth and realistic for live sports or action movies. There's some mutterings among the more progressive of directors about being able to vary the sense of motion that the viewer experiences by changing shutter angles and effective framerate in post production from scene to scene. In time I'm sure it will become a storytelling tool used in much the same way depth of field is used today.

Personally I think in 10 to 20 years we will look at 24fps movies (especially action movies) as flickery, headache inducing and slightly comical much like silent movies are often perceived now. I find after working in this field a little I'm starting to develop this viewpoint already! While a slow paced arty movie is a delight, action sequences now look absurd, unpleasant and nausea inducing at 24fps.

Cheers

Andre