[mythtv-users] Comcast Basic Cable Encryption

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 18:45:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22)
<cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Can anybody tell me, when Comcast starts with the basic cable
> encryption, are they conforming with the law? The FCC rule stated that
> they have to give 30 days notice and also have to give a free cable card
> or set top box for 1 year to anybody who was using clear QAM.

TTBOMK they conform (at least in all markets so far).  That does
not mean that they will do more than the law requires.

> I shall have to get a HD Homerun Prime or Ceton, but I am not ordering
> it yet, in case Comcast takes years to get around to my area.

A completely reasonable choice.  Comcast has not pre-announced
the areas being converted, so you can never tell how long it will
be, and there are new products on the horizon.

> Any advice on which to get? These devices are available in USB,
> Ethernet, and PCI Express. I do not have a free PCI Express socket
> unless I switch computers around. USB cables are easily pulled out.
> Ethernet means I have to make sure my router is always working, but
> maybe give the advantage that you can access it from other systems. The
> Ceton web page says they do not support linux but they supply drivers
> anyway. The HDHR web site claims to support mythtv. So I am wondering
> which device and connection method is most reliable. Also of course
> there is the new Ceton 6 Ethernet that nobody has tested yet.

Everyone has different compromises.  There is no "best" solution
for all.  Reliability is in the eye of the beholder.  Ceton and
SiliconDust both have announced new offerings (the Ceton
device is shipping now, but no one has declared success yet
with it and MythTV, and the SiliconDust offering ships sometime
in the summer).  The longer you wait, the more others experience
with the devices may influence you (and others) to choose a
particular device.  While my *guess* is that both will eventually
work well, it is just a WAG.

Don't worry, be happy.

Gary