[mythtv-users] Comcast Basic Cable Encryption

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 27 18:22:52 UTC 2013

Can anybody tell me, when Comcast starts with the basic cable
encryption, are they conforming with the law? The FCC rule stated that
they have to give 30 days notice and also have to give a free cable card
or set top box for 1 year to anybody who was using clear QAM.

There is no over the air signal here. The nearest transmitters are over
50 miles away.

I shall have to get a HD Homerun Prime or Ceton, but I am not ordering
it yet, in case Comcast takes years to get around to my area.

Any advice on which to get? These devices are available in USB,
Ethernet, and PCI Express. I do not have a free PCI Express socket
unless I switch computers around. USB cables are easily pulled out.
Ethernet means I have to make sure my router is always working, but
maybe give the advantage that you can access it from other systems. The
Ceton web page says they do not support linux but they supply drivers
anyway. The HDHR web site claims to support mythtv. So I am wondering
which device and connection method is most reliable. Also of course
there is the new Ceton 6 Ethernet that nobody has tested yet.

Peter