[mythtv-users] Not quite OT but of interest: video formats

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jun 27 09:10:59 UTC 2013

On 26 Jun 2013, at 13:56, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2013, at 8:29, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>

>> Most material I have seen has been 720p resolution, some QHD or UHDTV resolution but the resolution is much less noticeable than the frame rate. Even projected at >100" 720p300 is quite stunning, well to me anyway after 20 odd years working in Sports TV watching blurry horrible interlaced SD & HD cars whizzing past. ;-)
>
> You would be hard pressed to actually find a display device capable of rendering that.

True, the BBC & EBU demos have been DLP projectors, the 600fps was some obscure spinning oil disk projector, very low resolution.

> Crappy TN panel LCDs claim to be able to do so, but then that's just best case on a grey-to-grey transition. Typical performance is going to be closer to only 100fps, and you're still stuck with a crappy, dithered TN panel.  VA and IPS panels won't even come close.

The average LCD/"LED" TV seems to struggle at anything much above 24p to my eye.

> Plasma screen are inherently different, operating more like a DLP in that the individual pixels are only ever on or off, using dithering to achieve the desired brightness, but then the tighter your refresh rate, the worse your color reproduction is.

Maybe something could be rigged up using a vacuum tube, some phosphors and an electron beam :-P

OLED has been the only flatscreen tech that seems to manage to keep up properly at ~60fps, maybe it's capable of more? Well in the short time before the colours degrade and it all wears out. :-(

Before anyone corrects me Panasonic for one at least have announced the end of their Plasma TVs and will be manufacturing OLED screens as a replacement technology so they at least have some confidence. I bet they don't come with 5 year warranties.

Andre