[mythtv-users] Not quite OT but of interest: video formats

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jun 26 12:56:41 UTC 2013

On Jun 26, 2013, at 8:29, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> Most material I have seen has been 720p resolution, some QHD or UHDTV resolution but the resolution is much less noticeable than the frame rate. Even projected at >100" 720p300 is quite stunning, well to me anyway after 20 odd years working in Sports TV watching blurry horrible interlaced SD & HD cars whizzing past. ;-)

You would be hard pressed to actually find a display device capable of rendering that.  Crappy TN panel LCDs claim to be able to do so, but then that's just best case on a grey-to-grey transition. Typical performance is going to be closer to only 100fps, and you're still stuck with a crappy, dithered TN panel.  VA and IPS panels won't even come close.  Plasma screen are inherently different, operating more like a DLP in that the individual pixels are only ever on or off, using dithering to achieve the desired brightness, but then the tighter your refresh rate, the worse your color reproduction is.