[mythtv-users] Easiest way to find NBC on Comcast QAM

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 05:15:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22)
<cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a daily script that updates mythtv channel data from scte65scan.
> It never used to have all the HD channels. Comcast finally added all the
> HD channels to the scte65 which means at last my clear-QAM will be kept
> perfectly in sync .... until they start encrypting. Oh the irony!

It was the perfect storm of two different FCC rulings (the first allowing
non-separable encryption (i.e. no CableCard) for simplified/low cost
HD DTAs, and the second allowing the minimal encryption of all
channels, which both the DTA and the HD-DTA/EDTA chip implements
(i.e. SCTE-52) and which is already being used for the expanded basic
channels with the DTAs).  Comcast (and other MSOs) would likely have
implemented each separably over time, but the timing allows them to do
both at more or less the same time (and/or in rapid succession), and
to save some money doing so.

Gary