[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 12.04 mythtv 0.26 no sound except for mythfrontend

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 03:08:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM, jacek burghardt <
> jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you configure asound.conf ? There are many examples on configuring it
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On 24 June 2013 07:51, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> you'll need to make sure pulse audio is properly configured on your box.
>>>

> I have a .asoundrc file configured with the defaults as described here:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
>
> alsamixer indicates that my SB HDA card is the default.
>
> But all of that is for configuring ALSA - like Jean-Yves points out, I
> need to figure out how to fix pulseaudio.  If only information on how to
> configure pulseaudio was a fraction as abundant as information on how to
> obliterate it...
> --
> ________________________
> "destroying the fundamental underpinnings of the broadcast television
> ecosystem"

Update - I had to resort to the GUI to wrestle pulseaudio into submission:
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

aplay -l lists my soundcard as default.  However, in order to get my sound
card to show up in the GUI I had to issue $pulseaudio --kill; perfectly
obvious, right?  At that point I could go into the configure tab in the GUI
and select SPDIF for my board.

Anyway - hope this helps other mythbuntu users who might want sound in an
application other than mythfrontend.