[mythtv-users] ?Card?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Thu Jun 20 18:17:19 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-20, at 12:57 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> Hey guys, let me clutch at one last straw. Do we know that Strickland's patch has been applied to Mythtv 0.25? Or are we assuming that I did something with it other than look at it?

The patch doesn’t get applied to myth, it’s against the kernel. The changes update some existing parts of the kernel and create a new module, “ir-something-kworld-something,” I forget the details. Anyway, if a system has that new ir module then it’s safe to assume it has the patch and we did confirm its presence in your version of ubuntu so you’ve got the patch.

The problem is the driver is written for a card with PCI ID 17de:a134 and you have a card with PCI ID 17de:a135. Manufacturers change IDs like that when they update the components in a way that’s incompatible so the driver writers know to do something different to support it.

So, even though the box said PC150-U it might just as well said PC151-U or ShinyThing 223-U or FooledYou HaHaHa because it’s not the same card. The windows driver is aware of the variants and does the right thing for your revision.

At this point you’d have to find someone prepared to update the driver to support your variant which would require them having the card or you describing the chips on it or sending a photo for them to figure it out followed by installing and testing driver updates. I’m not trying to put you down but you were having trouble knowing when to use ls and when to use cat and doing kernel patches and giving useful debugging feedback is a whole other level of expertise.

On the other hand it’s maybe $50 for a usb based ATSC tuner and there was a guy on here earlier who has spares of a supported tuner so I’d say either of those it the right path.

- George