[mythtv-users] What lessons can I learn from this?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Jun 18 13:48:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> LAUKENS Niels wrote:
> >Although this is getting off-topic, for the record: Nagios can accept
> >"alerts" from pretty much anywhere. Either use "send_nsca", or write
> >directly to the "external command file" with your updated information.
>
> Indeed. Plus, for active monitoring, if you can write a script to do it,
> Nagios can monitor it. In essence, the monitoring side of Nagios is just
> calling scripts and processing the response code (OK, Warning, Critical,
> Unknown). So pretty well all you need to do is write a script (optionally
> taking some parameters), and have it spit out a one-line result - whatever
> goes inside is up to you and can be as simple or complex as you
> like/need/can cope with.
>
> Though I have to agree with an easrlier comment - it's a bit heavyweight,
> and has a fairly steep learning curve until you get your head round it.

Yeah, unfortunately (fortunately?) I have a *lot* of experience with it. I
originally started using it when it was still called Netsaint (circa 2000)
. Now I am a slave to HP... :)

Anyway, if I get some time I'll try and take a look at the plugin and see
what it does, it could be relatively easy to port to a newer version of
MythTV.

Tom