[mythtv-users] What lessons can I learn from this?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 12:31:13 UTC 2013

LAUKENS Niels wrote:
>Although this is getting off-topic, for the record: Nagios can accept
>"alerts" from pretty much anywhere. Either use "send_nsca", or write
>directly to the "external command file" with your updated information.

Indeed. Plus, for active monitoring, if you can write a script to do it, Nagios can monitor it. In essence, the monitoring side of Nagios is just calling scripts and processing the response code (OK, Warning, Critical, Unknown). So pretty well all you need to do is write a script (optionally taking some parameters), and have it spit out a one-line result - whatever goes inside is up to you and can be as simple or complex as you like/need/can cope with.

Though I have to agree with an easrlier comment - it's a bit heavyweight, and has a fairly steep learning curve until you get your head round it.