[mythtv-users] ?Card?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jun 18 13:38:30 UTC 2013

On 18/06/13 14:05, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> I'm not understanding how to view /var/log/messages.

As root, "cat /var/log/messages"; although that could give you thousands of
lines if your host has been up long, or "tail -<n> /var/log/messages" where <n>
is a number (that's /just/ a number after the hyphen). That will display the
last n lines of the log.

I would also have a look at dmesg. You don't need to be root to do that and if
you try "dmesg | more" you'll see how the system boots up and what it thinks it
finds.

The first few pages can be skipped over as that's the software finding out what
CPU and memory you have. Later on you'll see what peripherals it finds.

>>   At this point I would think that your best bet is to pull /all/ cards
>> that are likely to add to the confusion, so that you only have your Kworld
>> card to worry about. It should be much easier for mythtv-setup to tell you
>> what it thinks it has if there are no others to muddy the waters.
>
> I understand that theory, but am hesitant to act on it as the HP 1250 PCIe
> is functional, scheduled and has up coming recordings

As long as you pull it, boot and then afterwards put it back in the same slot
there should be no damage. You won't interrupt the backend since that shouldn't
be running while you run mythtv-setup, and if you're doing that anyway you won't
be making any recordings, will you?

--

Mike Perkins