[mythtv-users] Custom Schedules Grouping

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 17 18:05:03 UTC 2013

On 06/17/2013 01:42 PM, Brian Frost wrote:
> First off, I have a few custom recording groups and I love the way that they work. They are incredibly flexible.
>
> Now for the question: Can I group recordings that have resulted from the custom recording rule together in the front end? Two quick examples are a rule for 'Oklahoma Football' and 'old comedies - movies, comedy, 1936-1959'. I would love to be able to find these in the front end under a single section. I would like to treat them like a single 'series' with each recording being an episode.
>
> Is this functionality available?
>

> thank all for such great support and a great product

You only get one recording group per recording.  The recording group for
new recordings is specified by the recording rule.  So, the only way to
group 'Oklahoma Football' and 'old comedies - movies, comedy, 1936-1959'
together is to use the same recording group on both recording rules.  Of
course, that means you can't use any other recording group for either of
them (so, no "Football" or "Movies" or ...).

Once you record a show, you can change its recording group to anything
you like from Watch Recordings (MENU|Storage Options|Change Recording
Group), but doing so will replace the previous recording group--you only
get one recording group per recording.

I think what you may be asking is, "Is there a way to sort and filter
recordings in Watch Recordings to show only those recordings in some
list of recording groups?"  (So, wanting to show "Movies" and "Football"
or something.)  The answer is no.  Watch Recordings isn't designed to
work with large collections of Video and doesn't provide much ability to
organize, sort, or filter--it's meant as "temporary" storage for new
recordings until you watch and delete them or until you archive them to
a better location.

So, in Watch Recordings, you can MENU|Change Group Filter, then select a
/single/ recording group to display.  You can MENU|Change Group View and
de-select "Titles" to prevent a separate left-column grouping by
titles.  But, you can't do anything too fancy, and are pretty much
constrained to looking at one thing at a time.

Video Library, on the other hand, was designed for working with large
collections of video and for providing an ability for users to organize,
sort, and filter.  See:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519758#519758
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/519996#519996