[mythtv-users] Frontend problem on new Macbook Air

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Mon Jun 17 17:15:54 UTC 2013

On 17/06/13 10:47, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 17 June 2013 15:50, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
>> I am running mythubuntu on the backend that is pretty recent
>>
>> 2:2.0.26+fixes.21030530.bfd2408-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1
>>
> do you have any other frontends available on linux?
I have the one on the backend which is bang up to date with the server
(ie 16 June).myth

> it could be the main database, or the database as used by one of the
> frontend plugin...
I could always add a plugin to the above front end if needed

> in anycase, you need to run a mythfrontend as recent as the mac one,
> that will perform the upgrade before you can start the mac one.
>
> that, or install mysql on your mac and make sure it's in the path, so
> mythfrontend can perform the database backup
Actually I think I have sussed it.

 From the other post about Mythmusic, I installed that on the backend
and then ran the Front End form there. It prompted me to upgrade my
database which I did.

Now I can run the mac client without problems

>> (in fact i am about to upgrade that to fixes.20130616)
>>
>> Do I need to do something separate to upgrade the database?
> normally, no
>
>> Also note earlier in the thread where I said I tried 0.25 and it told me
>> that the protocol was wrong. I am pretty sure I have a completely up to date
>> backend.
> doesn't mean it's the last one
>
>> The other piece of evidence is the second pastebin, where I kill off the
>> existing processes, and in its dying moments it does actually connect to the
>> database with protocol 75.
>
>> The other question is WHY is it trying to back up the database? This
>> frontend is supposed to be just a slave frontend and the database isn't
>> local to it, yet it is acting like it is.
> because it's always done that way
>
> prior upgrading the database, it attempts to make a backup. If the
> backup fails then the upgrade won't occur.
>
> the mac can perform the upgrade, but not the backup unless you
> manually installed mysql and made it available in the PATH
>
>>   I tried the very same command with the log on my linux box with a remote
>> front end and the startup is pretty similar (except it just assumes QT
>> Painter, and doesn't try OpenGL), but that doesn't try and backup the
>> database, nor does it try and start mythlogserver
> because you are running a version identical to the one in your
> backend. so it doesn't attempt to perform an upgrade.
>
> the mac one is more recent and needs an updated version.
>
> what's so hard to understand?
I hadn't understood that my database needed an upgrade - all that the
previous conversation was about was it was trying to backup the database
and I couldn't understand why a frontend would want to do that.  Given
its doing the upgrade I understand the need for a backup.

> none of the data you have provided so far contradict what I posted
> earlier, quite the opposite, it made it even more obvious about what
> the problem is.
OK

> now, either you do what I tell you to, or you can try your own way....
> it's up to you

I didn't mean to upset up you. I just wanted to understand precisely
what was happening so I can focus responses on what is important.

  I am perfectly willing to listen to advice and take it and would have
referred back to you for the next round had I not just got it working by
doing the upgrade on the backend.

Thank you for the help you have given me so far.