[mythtv-users] problem with mythmote on one backend but not another

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 00:38:34 UTC 2013

On 06/14/2013 07:15 PM, Aaron Klein wrote:
> I have two backends and both are running mythbuntu I have enabled the
> network remote option under setup.  My master backend/frontend works with
> mythmote but my secondary frontend does not work with the same mythmote.  I
> get an connection error which makes me think that maybe the issue is with a
> firewall block.  How do I check to see if the port 6546 is allowed through
> the firewall on the frontend.

If you believe its the firewall, and I'm assuming you're referring to the
*buntu UFW, just disable it with sudo ufw disable, then try mythmote again.
Restore it with sudo ufw enable.

Here are a couple of tools.

sudo ufw status (run on your frontends, expect something like:)

To                         Action      From
Anywhere                   ALLOW       192.168.1.0/24
Anywhere                   ALLOW       239.0.0.0/8

nmap -p 6546 --reason yourHostInQuestion (run from a host other than your
frontend)

Should return (among other things:)

PORT     STATE SERVICE REASON
6546/tcp open  mythtv  syn-ack