[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6tuner devicesannounced(PCIeand Ethernet)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 8 15:21:39 UTC 2013

On 6/8/2013 11:01 AM, William Korb wrote:
> So basically, if there was a way for some company to create a proprietary
> software Myth module that is only distributed in signed, binary format, then
> Myth could do DRM? Sounds like a business opportunity for someone!:)  However,
> I suspect the licensing costs to do something like this would probably far
> exceed the Myth community's willingness to pay for such an add-on.

As mentioned, anything after the decryption point must be similarly
authorized and signed. That means no commercial detection, transcoding,
HLS, or other post processing. That also means it needs to come with
duplicate software decoding, or be restricted to hardware decoding. That
means you must use binary graphics drivers, which support direct
rendering and can handle decryption themselves to prevent your X server
from intercepting anything.

Microsoft rewrote a large chunk of Windows during Vista to produce their
"protected media pathway". TiVo cheats and does all video decryption,
decoding and playback in a piece of hardware independent from their
Linux operating system. Properly supporting DRM is by no means a trivial
task.

Before anyone says "but we can use DRM in Flash", Flash has a horribly
insecure and broken implementation of DRM that only protects against the
most trivial of attacks.