[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6tuner devicesannounced(PCIeand Ethernet)

William Korb korb at qisc.com
Sat Jun 8 15:01:06 UTC 2013

On 06/08/2013 09:32 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 6/8/2013 10:05 AM, William Korb wrote:
>> Perhaps this has been already beaten to death in the past, but is it
>> simply not possible for Myth to be modified to adhere to the DRM rules
>> such that users like myself? Charter is pretty tight with their "Copy
>> Free" channels - I can't even record AMC HD "The Walking Dead" which is a
>> real bummer! Or is this just the usual paranoia about OSS that if they
>> make it possible for Myth to deal with DRM that people will find a way to
>> circumvent it since they have source code access?
>
> With encryption, you have two trusted endpoints operating securely to keep
> a third party out. If either of those endpoints can be modified by that
> third party, they can no longer be trusted, and the system is no longer
> secure.
>
> With encryption, the endpoints are the server and the user. With DRM, the
> endpoints are the server and the client's software, and the client
> themselves is that third party. Thus, the client's software must be
> protected from modification by the client, lest the software become
> compromised and the system be rendered insecure.
>
> DRM requires all pieces of software in the chain, after the point of
> decryption, be distributed as binaries, cryptographically signed so each
> piece can determine the others it is communicating with have not been
> modified. It does not explicitly prevent the use of open source software,
> but when the user cannot made functional modifications to their own source,
> instead requiring those changes get pushed back upstream, analyzed,
> compiled, signed, and pushed back out as a binary, there is no longer any
> value to open source software.
>
> Traditional conditional access systems prevent users from stealing content
> they have not purchased. DRM systems prevent customers from using purchased
> content in a manner of their choosing, limiting use to only those ways the
> distributor has seen fit, allowing the distributor to make more ways
> available at further cost should they determine the market supports it.
> Make no mistake about it, DRM does not exist to prevent piracy, it exists
> to circumvent fair use and protect a distributor's market, allowing a
> continued revenue stream as opposed to a single initial purchase.

Thanks for the reply.

So basically, if there was a way for some company to create a proprietary
software Myth module that is only distributed in signed, binary format, then
Myth could do DRM? Sounds like a business opportunity for someone! :) However,
I suspect the licensing costs to do something like this would probably far
exceed the Myth community's willingness to pay for such an add-on.

- --
William Korb, President & CTO          Phone:  715-382-5462
QISC, Inc.
19945 82nd Ave., Suite 201             E-mail: korb at qisc.com
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729-5631          URL:    http://www.qisc.com/
"Tilting at Digital Windmills since 1995."