[mythtv-users] HLS take advantage of GPU?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Jun 2 02:29:11 UTC 2013

>  Can HLS take advantage of any GPUs for the transcoding?
>>

> Not at present, no. Nearly all existing GPU transcoding tools are
> proprietary, and only amount to rather modest performance and quality
> compared to x264 and a decent CPU. I haven't been paying close attention,
> but I'm not aware of any production-ready open source GPU encoding
> projects. The only other options are things like Elegato's encoder dongle,
> which does not have Linux drivers, and **** Intel's QuickSync, which
> similarly does not have publicly available Linux drivers *****.

Not exactly true:

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2013/2013q1-intel-graphics-stack-release(see
highlighted new features)

http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/media-sdk-linux - the latest
tutorial talks about encoding video with the GPU... and the september 6th
tutorial talks about using the media-sdk with FFMpeg.

So, really, it's probably just a matter of time.