[mythtv-users] HLS take advantage of GPU?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 1 06:18:46 UTC 2013

On 6/1/2013 1:14 AM, Chris Finley wrote:
> Can HLS take advantage of any GPUs for the transcoding?

Not at present, no. Nearly all existing GPU transcoding tools are
proprietary, and only amount to rather modest performance and quality
compared to x264 and a decent CPU. I haven't been paying close
attention, but I'm not aware of any production-ready open source GPU
encoding projects. The only other options are things like Elegato's
encoder dongle, which does not have Linux drivers, and Intel's
QuickSync, which similarly does not have publicly available Linux drivers.