[mythtv-users] recordinng profile based on channel

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 20:47:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Larry Roberts
<mythtv at american-hero.com> wrote:
> they can be for watching via the web/frontend.  I may be bringing in
> knowledge artifacts from my PVR-350 days when you could tell what quality to
> save.  Its the old I dont know what I dont know so I'm trying to think of
> all the things I could need to change going from SD to HD.

There is no need to transcode HDHR recordings for playback with
Mythfrontend. In fact it's best to not transcode them to save on time,
electricity, and preserve quality.

The only time I transcode anything is for use with a particular
device, like to watch something on my phone while traveling, etc. Your
use case with the Roku sounds similar. You could write a script that
looks at the video resolution and chooses an appropriate action based
on some bounds you have defined. However, the Roku should be able to
play things without resizing, so just change the codec/container as
necessary and don't worry about resolution. The transcode commands
suggested at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ROKU_HD_Frontend don't mess
with resolution or discriminate between SD/HD.

Tom