[mythtv-users] Upgrade plan

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jul 18 19:32:11 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Monkey Pet" <monkeypet at gmail.com>

> I would do the backup of the DB, backup /etc/*, backup /home/*,> snapshot
> /etc/fstab, all your lvm configs. I always had success just copying> over
> the entire /var/lib/mysql subdirectory over to the new install and> things
> just worked assuming that your hostname stays the same. I would also> run
> badblocks when you format your drive to discover bad blocks on the> drive.
> Using the HD Homerun devices, I am so glad I don't need to muck around
> with kernel drivers.

Oh, I'm *much* more paranoid than that.  I don't touch the entire old
boot drive (which is why it's a separate 40G with only the DB on it); then
when I'm done I leave it installed and unmounted for a month.

I'll make an image of it first anyway, even though I don't plan to touch
it...

And I plan to run Spinrite 6 on the new drive, actually.

Cheers,
-- jra