[mythtv-users] Upgrade plan

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:44:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> I'm about to upgrade off an ancient Myth (0.23-fix) on an ancient OS
> (suse 11.1) to something a little newer.  This is my pan.
>
> 1) Install new OS (Suse 12.2) on new 40G SATA
> 2) Install new MythTB (latest packaged production release, .26?)
> 3) Copy mythconverg database from old drive to new one
> 4) ???
> 5) Profit!!
>
> What do I need to do at step 4?  Run the upgrade scripts manually?
> Run mythtv-setup and it will do it for me?  Or will the .26 backend
> automagically find that the DB is out of schema and run the upgrade
> scripts for me?
>
> I'm still running IVTV tuners; are those supportable in 3.x kernels?
> (I think 12.2 is on 3.6 or 3.7...)
>
> Any other obvious things I've forgotten?

I bit the bullet and reinstalled my fedora machine to switch over to 64bits
and xen hypervisor for vitualization and things went smoothly.  No data
loss :)

I would do the backup of the DB, backup /etc/*, backup /home/*, snapshot
/etc/fstab, all your lvm configs. I always had success just copying over
the entire /var/lib/mysql subdirectory over to the new install and things
just worked assuming that your hostname stays the same.  I would also run
badblocks when you format your drive to discover bad blocks on the drive.
 Using the HD Homerun devices, I am so glad I don't need to muck around
with kernel drivers.